You're sewing your own wedding dress?????


Since I got engaged in September of last year, I knew that I wanted to make my own wedding dress even though I had only been sewing for a year.  Crazy?  Yeah I am sure many people believe that I am.  
Why would you do that?  
Aren't you scared?  
Are you just trying to save money?

My answers, Why not?  Yes, I am scared and no I am not trying to save any money.  In fact if you add up all the time it will take me to do it, it would probably cost more.  But honestly, why am I sewing my own wedding dress???

As I sit here trying to put my whole thought process into words, it is a bit harder that I thought.  To me the wedding dress is a very personal thing.  You'll wear the dress once and it will be a day of big celebration but also one of serious commitment.  This day changes your life.  You can't get a do over on your wedding day.  So why would I put that pressure on myself on purpose?  Let's me tell you why...

I am taking the time to make my wedding dress because I never really thought this day would come and I don't think any other dress would manage to make me feel as beautiful as one I take time to make.  By making my dress I get time to pray, contemplate and go into this marriage knowing that I can do anything I put my mind to.  I get to incorporate fabric, recycled clothing or other things from my lost loved ones.  Making this dress just as special as the day will be.

Really if you think about it you will see that sewing and marriage have a lot in common.  Sewing, especially a project you've never done before takes patience and understanding.  You can't just zoom through this type of project.  Marriage is the same.  Making a marriage works takes patience and understanding.  Many techniques in sewing take practice.  Perfect princess seams, darts and trims don't come on your first try.  You must practice the techniques.  Clear and honest communication take practice.  It isn't something you are born with.  Marriage takes great communication.  A great dress takes time, as does a great marriage.  With the time it will take, I can spend it praying for my family, for my relationship, praying for the future and thanking God for all that he's given to me.  Like in marriage, when sewing something for yourself you need to be flexible.  You need to know that no pattern will be perfect and you will need to make adjustments.  In marriage you need to be flexible and understand that you will need to make many adjustments as you move from your "single" life to your wife life.  Going from living alone to sharing everything will require patience, flexibility and work.  

Marriage is what you put into it.  It is like an empty box, you have to put something into it before you can get something out of it.  I am going to put hours of prayer into that box.  I am going to put patience into that box.  I coming into my marriage knowing that I can do ANYTHING when I put God first and then set my mind.  I am going to walk down the aisle and stand in front of my husband in a dress that shows and offers him my love, my patience, understanding, dedication.

I am making my own dress because my marriage deserves it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to My Sister

Because you need me

Missing you