Quick Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup

It's been cold here California lately - you know what I mean, cold by California standards - and it seems nothing sounds good for dinner except soup.  On Monday our house got hit with the common cold.  Well with sick people comes...you guessed it Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup.  Of course I could have just opened a can of Campbell's chicken soup, but really???  Nothing beats an old fashion all day 100% from scratch soup.

Picture this:  I get off of work at 5:30 pm and drive to Whole Foods to pick up all of the organic items I need for this recipe: Whole organic chicken, organic eggs for the homemade noodles, organic onions, celery, carrots, parsley, garlic, etc.  Drive home, roll up my sleeves, take off my rings (I don't like to get gunk in them when I cook, strange I know) and get the kitchen ready for some slow, leisurely chicken soup and noodles making fun. Let's speed it up a bit...Whole chicken in Rockcrok Dutch oven to simmer for an hour while I make cut up the veggies and start those hand made fresh egg noodles.  ERRRRREEEKKKKKK - that is the sound of a record scratching as someone stops it abruptly ( I just dated myself and probably alienated myself from all the millennials reading this, oh well)

In reality, on a weekend when I have nothing else do (yeah right) I might have tackled one of those 100% from scratch recipes but this time I did the next best thing, I used the Pampered Chef Quick Cooker (yes you can use your Instant Pot).  I looked online for a recipe that used a pressure cooker like device (I'm so PC) and found two that were highly rated.  As I read through them both, I decided I liked one a bit more than the other, but still wanted to make some adjustments. Instead of 2 hours of cooking and tons of mess in the kitchen that my mom would die to see, it only took at the most 30 minutes, but tasted like I slaved over it.  Hubby requested I make it again one day...woo hoo #winning #feedingthebeast

Quick Cooker Gluten Free Chicken Noodle Soup


Ingredients:

  •  2 tbsp. Ghee (substitute with unsalted butter or olive oil if you'd like)
  • 1 medium onion chopped (yellow or white is fine)
  • 2 medium carrots chopped (in bits or circles your call)
  • 2 stalks of celery chopped
  • 1 tsp. of Himalayan rock salt (with more to add later for taste )
  • 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper (with more to add later for taste)
  • 1 tsp. dry thyme (1 tbsp. if fresh)
  • 1 tsp. dry parsley (1 tbsp. if fresh)
  • 1 tsp. dry tarragon (sub with Oregano if you'd like)
  • 1 handful of cilantro
  • 3 garlic cloves minced (Garlic Press)
  • 1 tbsp. Lemon juice (Citrus Press)
  • 4 cups organic chicken broth or stock
  • 2 lbs. bone-in, skin-on, split cut chicken breasts (or at least one breast)
  • 4 cups of water
  • 5 oz uncooked gluten free noodles (about 2 cups) - go ahead add the glutes back in.

Directions:

  • Turn on the Quick Cooker and turn knob to searAdd the Ghee and cook until melted. Add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté for 3 minutes until the onion softens and becomes translucent.  Add the Garlic and cook until fragrant - about 30 seconds

  • Season with salt and pepper, add the thyme, parsley, tarragon and stir. Pour in the chicken broth and lemon juice. Add the chicken pieces and add another 4 cups of water
  • Close the lid. Be sure your button is not down or it will not come to pressure. Set the Quick Cooker to the Soup/stock setting and custom set the timer to 7 minutes
  • Once the Quick Cooker is complete, let the pressure release naturally about 10 minutes. Press steam release button and wait until safe to open lid
  • Add the noodles to the soup and set the Quick cooker to the sear setting again. Cook for another 6 minutes uncovered, or until the noodles are cooked.
  • Turn off the Quick Cooker, by pressing the cancel button. Add the shredded chicken back into the Quick Cooker with a good handful of chopped cilantro, taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary.


Sorry for the blurry picture, but you can still see the yumminess. 

Inspired by: Jo Cooks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to My Sister

Because you need me

Missing you