The Dress

 Over the last few months I have worked almost nightly on making my wedding dress.  I did this so that I could get married  a dress prayed  over, made with love and that included just a bit of those we've lost over the years.  It seemed to me that I could not get married without my little sister and grandparents there.  So I came up with this great way to include them.

My Grandma Perkins loved silk pajamas.  I am pretty sure she wore them daily.  When she passed away in 2007, many of us asked for a pair of her Pjs.  I have kept mine with me since then.  When I was thinking about the best way to include her in my wedding dress (apart from using her sewing machine) I decided that I would line the bodice of the dress with her Pjs.  It was hard at first, but then a feeling of love came over me.  It was so great to have her so close to me on that special day.

My Grandma Dominguez loved to sew and make things.  She used to make us all our Halloween costumes.  She'd make baby blankets, pillows and pretty much anything you asked for.  She was a very loving and giving woman.  When she past in 2011, it really hit me.  I had always wanted to learn to sew but never really did.  About 5 years later I really had a strong desire to sew.  I ended up going through her fabric and just set off to create things.  I started sewing skirts for my daughter our of her old clothing, but moved on to using her sewing labels in our clothes.."Made with love from Anna".  For my wedding dress, I decided to use her most outrageous fabric for my pockets. She would have loved it.                                                                               

We lost my little sister in 2012, and though I have two living pieces of her with us daily, her son and daughter, I wanted to have her with me on the happiest day of my life.  So I sewed the cremation cross we had made after her funeral into the bodice of the dress.  She was right next to my heart all day long.

My special day was made more special by getting to wear a dress that I made completely with my own two hands.  I could not have imagined it any other way.


                                                             

Comments

  1. That is such an amazing story, my grandmother was just like yours, she made us dresses, costumes and dolls, I still have the raggedy Anne's she make for me. I worn my mom's earring to my wedding to have here there as well! Glad you had the perfect dress and a wonderful wedding day!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn it. The tears I was able to hold back when I asked about Stacy are all over my face and phone now. Love you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to My Sister

Because you need me

Missing you