18 days

18 days ago today I picked up my niece just thinking that I would get to spend the long weekend with her and her brother and nothing more. Today, I am Auntie Mom. In those 18 days she has tried many new foods, started T-ball, met a lot of new friends/family, started home schooling for Kindergarten and started "exercising" with the Dogs.

This 5 year old has had a crazy and i bet stressful last 4 months. October she lost her mom and her grandparents leave after being there for 3 months. Her brother leaves to live with his "real" father. November, her sister leaves to live with her aunt in Ohio. December, Santa Claus misses her house. Then in the beginning of February she has to leave her friends, school and her life behind her to try to start over with just her dad. He's done all he could for her, but she just needed a bit more. In steps me...the rest is history.

Alyssa loves being here and i think she feels safe. She misses her "family" but she wants to be here. I can't help to think that my sister Stacy is looking down on us and smiling, We have such a great time together. She is usually polite, a good listener and ALWAYS silly. She soaks in the love around her and smiles just as much as her mommy. She isn't a morning person like her mom either.

She likes to make jokes about me being her "mommy" but sadly I really think she is trying to see if I say something like I am not your mom or I can only be it for awhile. Tonight she said "I love you mom, (giggled) it's like you are raising me" I said "yes it is" she said "how much does it cost to raise me?" I said "$5 and it would be my pleasure to raise you." It is sad to me that a child at 5 years old is that concerned with money....but I understand why. I won't be able to give her every thing in the world but she won't be needy.
Being her mom is more than a pleasure it is an honor. I'd do it for the rest of my life just to see what an amazing woman she will be. I pray her sister is getting the same love and care. I know God has a plan for them both and it will be amazing. Stacy, you trusted me and I promise your kids will be loved, cherished and as safe as I can make them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to My Sister

Because you need me

Missing you