The Beaver

OK I have to admit when I saw the preview for this movie the first time I was like WTH?  Really Jodi Foster and Mel Gibson suck that much now they have to do a movie about a puppet?  I swore up and down that they have sunk too low.  I could not understand what had happened to their careers that they'd have to do this movie.  Then I notice Jodi Foster directed it and I thought..WOW she can't even get work on her own.  Yes, of course I remember all of Mel's not so good antics and ranting this last couple years but Jodi?  I just thought she fell of the map.

Well I came across a blu-ray copy of this movie recently and thought well 1. Did not pay for it and 2. Hey I like Sesame Street and they have puppets and actors maybe I should give this a chance.  :-)

I will publicly admit that "The Beaver" is actually a decent movie.  I'm not saying it is spellbinding, but it touched my heart (even a few tears- though that is not hard to do).  Mel Gibson's character has a mental breakdown and the story revolves around trying to help him find his way back to reality.  The emotion in this film was great.  Both Jodi and Mel did pretty good jobs.  Watching this family battle with living in their reality AND trying to deal with the father's "reality" was touching.  The tug-o-war was not all to different then many families go through today, even if it is for different reasons.

Ultimately, what I took from this movie is that you can't just keep stuff in, it will eventually eat up inside.  Depression comes on fast and unless you are ready, supported and strong enough to handle it, it can take you over quickly.  Can you be real?  Do you know who your God given confidants are?   We try so hard to make things seem just fine, status quo, but really if something is bothering you deep down inside you should find someone you really trust and let it go.  I'm not saying drag every person you know into your personal life or ramble on aimlessly (like I do in this blog) about your problems, but really truly and honestly share your inner fears, sadness and overall feelings with someone you can trust. 

I still am not sure why those two big names made this movie but I will say that at least is was a NEW idea.  Not just another director making a movie and giving is a slight change and new name, thinking we will never know.  Let's see...like "Friends with Benefits" and "No String Attached" or another prequel or part 2 or 3 of something else.  It is truly something I have not seen...or I have blocked it out which is of course entirely possible.

Please understand I am not telling you to run out and rent this movie, but heck if you have a coupon or you see it for like a couple of bucks check it out.  I think you might even like it.

Remember if it is unladylike, fattening or fun, it must be good for you!

Ta ta for now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to My Sister

Because you need me

Missing you