A reason, a season or a lifetime

As I was sitting in church this morning, I was reminded of this poem that I have heard many times before.  Though today it was because someone I had not known for very long was leaving.  What struck me as interesting today is that even though I did not know this person very well, he still touched my life a lot.

During the sermon the Pastor brought up 1Thessalonians 2:8 which says "We loved you so much that we shared with you not only God' good news but our own lives too."  Again this poem kept popping into my head and it made me really listen better to what it was saying.

As I started to contemplate this poem a bit more I started to realize that it is OK that you are not friends with the same people for your whole life.  Or that the best friend you told everything to 8 years ago is now more like a causal friend or has gone away.  That it is OK for these things to happen, it is normal and meant to be.  Sometimes we spend so much of our time and strength trying to hold on to what we don't need right now just to stop from having to deal with change.  However, change on its own is not bad, but its the uncertainty of what is to come that is frightening. BUT if we have loved them so much and we shared God's good news with them as well as our lives, then we have done what we were supposed.
 
As the poem says; "Reason" people are there to help you or for you to help them through get through a difficult time, meet a need or provide some sort of support.  Though sometimes these people have to touch your heart just to help cause the change or end result that is needed and it can be very difficult to see them go.  But if you've been all that God asked you to be as a friend, you can be relieved in knowing that you or they have fulfilled their destiny in your life and it is time to move on.  If you have anyone in your life that you are mad at because they have not talked to you in a long time or really just dropped off the face of the earth, take a deep breath and let the anger and sadness go.  They were there for a reason, and you may never understand why...but just know that God knows what he is doing.

What is the hardest for me to let go of are the people God has put in my life for a "Season" because they usually bring you the most joy, change, experiences or teaching.  In the last few years I have lost touch with a few friends that I would have said were there for a Lifetime and it has been very hard to come to grips with this.  However, I always resorted to the old saying relationships work both ways.  Well yes they do and that is correct, BUT if the relationship is just a seasonal one God put in your life, you can't fight it.  I just have to pray that they truly felt the love described in the verse above coming from my heart.  Seasonal friends are hard to let go, but the grudges or sadness or any other negative feelings you have towards them end up just hurting you.  Trying to hold on to something that is not there anymore and probably will never come back it very damaging to your soul.  We have to accept that God knows better what we need than we do.  Though it can hurt like crazy we will get through.

Lifetime friends to me are God's angels on earth.  I thank God every day for all the angels he's put in my life.  I only pray they know how much I love them and cherish their friendship.  Take time to let your negative feelings you may have towards your "reason" or "season" friends go and start living like you are supposed to "We loved you so much that we shared with you not only God' good news but our own lives too."   Share the word of God and share your heart, don't be afraid to show your soul...you'll be blessed with what comes back.  Feel free to be real.

In case you've never read the poem click here

Remember if it is unladylike, fattening or fun, it must be good for you!

Ta ta for now

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letter to My Sister

Because you need me

Missing you